A Healthy Vagina
Vaginal discharge is not uncommon, can vary in consistency and usually has an inoffensive slightly sweet odour which is unique to every woman. A healthy vagina is naturally acidic with a low pH of approximately 3.8 – 4.5. This natural acidity is maintained by lactic acid producing bacteria known as lactobacilli. The growth of lactobacilli is dependent on the presence of naturally occurring glygogen. Lactobacilli flourish in an acidic environment and form a very important part of the natural defences, acting as a barrier to infections.
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is the most common cause of abnormal vaginal discharge in women of childbearing age. It is a bacterial infection that develops where there is less of the normal bacteria (lactobacilli) and an overgrowth of other types of bacteria at higher pH.
Causes of Bacterial Vaginosis
There are a number of things that may upset the natural acidity of the vagina; these include:
- Fluctuating hormone levels during your period, pregnancy or menopause.
- Sexual Intercourse (semen is an alkaline)
- Taking antibiotics
- Intrauterine devices such as the coil
- Use of perfumed intimate body products
Signs and Symptoms
- Unpleasant odour (often fishy smelling)
- Abnormal discharge (thin and greyish in colour)
- It is important to note that itching and discomfort are NOT associated with BV, where there is discomfort it can be useful to use the chart below to check if you could have Thrush.
Bacterial Vaginosis or Thrush?
Bacterial Vaginosis is often mistaken for another vaginal infection called Thrush. The symptom checking table below can help you identify the infection causing your symptoms:
If your symptoms do not appear in this table, please consult your doctor.
Relactagel is a lactic acid gel that is clinically proven to treat and prevent bacterial Vaginosis (BV). Giving relief from abnormal vaginal odour and discharge associated with BV.
- Relactagel provides relief from embarrassing vaginal odour.
- Relieves abnormal discharge.
- Restores the natural pH of the vagina.
- Can be used to prevent BV as well as treating it.
- Hygienic single use applicators are used to apply the gel where it is needed.
Relactagel is a lactate vaginal gel. Lactate gel therapy restores and maintains the natural pH of your vagina. Relactagel promotes the growth of naturally occurring flora known as lactobacilli.